The New first two weeks

2/27/2015
Starting Sunday, 2/15/2015, I started a job which would probably be one of the toughest challenges I've taken on.  This journey all started a few years ago in 2013.  I applied for the Emergency Services Dispatcher job for Alameda County.  I was invited to take the test, and honestly a little surprised to learn that I've been invited to the interview stage.  I did that, but didn't make it into the hiring group, but was ranked high enough to stay in the hiring pool for a year.  Eventually, I took on a job with 24 Hour Fitness as a tax administrator.  During my time there, in June 2014, I was contacted by Alameda County HR asking if I wanted to re-interview for the same position.  What the heck- I did, and 8 months later, I'm working there!
The past two weeks have been filled with a lot of memorization of codes and processes.  This was a task that seems impossible, but I think I'm now seeing it as a little more doable.  My trainer has been great in showing me the ways of a dispatcher.  Yes- it's only been two weeks, and the training time can take anywhere from 6 to 12 months.  Still a long ways to go.  I can say that I've enjoyed the experience so far and look forward to doing much more.  I see that it can be frustrating and overwhelming with the types of calls and volume of calls that come in.  But I see from my trainer and others that it can be done!  It's quite a different feeling being in a spot where there's six computer screens to look at, no windows in the room, and knowing that we're in an underground facility.  But so far, no complaints.  Waking up at 6:15 to work from 7am to 3pm was great.  But now it's time for the midnight shifts for the next three months to continue training... here we go!..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water Time!

Past Order - when old becomes new

Day 1